Mr. Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth set up airline business in 1968. He founded in 1984 as “Sahakol Air” to take over the airline business which had been operating under the company named Krungthep Sahakol Co., Ltd. and later changed the name to “Bangkok Airways”.
We officially commenced scheduled passenger flight services in 1986 under our current name “Bangkok Airways”. In 1989, we completed construction of our first airport, located in Samui, an island in the Gulf of Thailand, which was beginning to be developed as an international tourist destination. We obtained an International Air Transport Association (“IATA”) code, “PG”, and commenced operations of our Samui Airport. In addition, we also received approval to fly IATA Clearing House member. In the same year, we added two ATR 72 to our fleet.
In 1998, we commenced operations of our second airport in Sukhothai. In 2000, we put our first Boeing 717-200 into operations. The Boeing 717-200 jet aircraft provided higher speeds and more seat capacity so we could increase capacity and reduce flight frequency. This also allowed us to expand our capacity on routes to and from Samui. In the same year, we commenced operations of our first hangar located in the Don Mueang International Airport. We also became a member of the IATA Billing and Settlement Plan (“BSP”). Being a member of the IATA BSP allows us to drive additional passenger sales and provides us with direct access to a distribution network of IATA. In 2002, we received full IATA membership which means that we upgraded our operations in adherence to the international commercial aviation standards under IATA Operational Safety Audit (“IOSA”), such membership entitles us to voting rights in respect of the fare adjustment process. In 2006, we commenced operations of our third airport in Trat.
As of 31 December 2015, the Company has a registered capital of 2,100,000,000 Baht, comprised ordinary shares of 2,100,000,000 shares, with a par value of 1 Baht per share, and the paid up capital of 2,100,000,000 Baht.
|2015||• The company won Asia Pacific Regional Airline of The Year from CAPA (Center for Asia Pacific Aviation). This recognition is given to the airline that is recognised as the market leader in tactically and strategically responding to the constantly changing market environment.
• The company was ranked second in the World’s Best Regional Airline and the Best Regional Airline in Asia from Skytrax.
• The company was ranked the world’s Top Ten Airline – Worldwide and ranked 5th for the Best in Cabin Service – Worldwide from the smarttravelsia.com; which is a leading travel website of Asia that carried out surveys from millions of tourists around the world under the topic “Best in Travel 2015”.
• The company was ranked 24th among other top 50 airlines with the best performance in terms of revenue surveyed by the Airfinance Journal from the UK.
|2014||• In 2014, the company entered a contract in aircraft leasing for nine aircraft of the type ATR72-600. The delivery due date of all the nine aircraft was from the fourth quarter of 2014 to the first quarter of 2017. The company has already filed a request with BOI to import all the mentioned aircraft. The first aircraft delivery took place in November 2014.
• The company registered in the Stock Exchange of Thailand on November 3rd, 2014; under the category of Transport and Logistics in the Hospitality Industry Group.
• The company was ranked 1st for the World’s Best Regional Airline and Best Regional Airline in Asia from Skytrax.
|2013||• We marked our 45th anniversary.
• The company converted into a public company limited and increased the registered capital from 1,250,000,000 Baht to 2,100,000,000 Baht by issued ordinary sharestotaled 850,000,000 shares worth 1 Baht per share to offer to the existing shareholders not more than 30,000,000 shares and offer to the general public not more than 520,000,000 shares. Also, the company approved its ordinary shares to be registered in the Stock Exchange of Thailand.
• The company offered ordinary shares to the existing shareholders at 300,000,000 shares, to the employees and the board at 30,000,000 shares at the price of 10 Baht per share. The share allocations are considered by the employee’s position, length of employment, and their responsibilities.
• The company was ranked 2nd in Asia’s Best Regional Airline in the World Airline Awards from Skytrax.
• BFS Ground and BFS Cargo was awarded 2013 Frost & Sullivan Thailand Aviation Support Services Provider of The Year in 2013 Frost & Sullivan’s Thailand Excellence Awards by Frost & Sullivan, a business and research consultant firm.
|2012||• BA adapted the corporate business structure in order to be suitable to the public share offerings and to register the ordinary shares in the Stock Exchange of Thailand. The company has sold out capital money and some of the non-airline and non-airport related businesses or the businesses that have been ceased or facing loss. This also included the estates neither involved in the airline nor the airport businesses. And other bussiness.
• The company was ranked fourth in the World’s Best Regional Airline from Skytrax’s World Airline Awards
|2008||• We expanded the Samui Airport’s runway to increase its capacity to accommodate larger jet aircraft. In the same year, we introduced our Blue Ribbon business class.|
|2007||• We were awarded the royal warrant appointment to display the Garuda emblem. We began introducing six Airbus A319 aircraft to our fleet to increase our passenger capacity into our most profitable destination, the Samui Airport.|
|2006||• BA commenced operations of our catering facilities at the Samui Airport. In the same year, we listed the Samui Property Fund (which holds a 30-year lease to the assets of the Samui Airport) on the SET, in which we own a 25.0% interest. On the same date, we entered into an agreement to sublease the Samui Airport from the Samui Property Fund for a period of three years, renewable nine times for periods of three years each, renewable upon agreement of both parties. The parties have renewed the Sub-lease Agreement for the second time on November 24, 2012.|
|2004||• BA received our ISO9001:2000 certification. In the same year, we added two Airbus A320 aircraft to our fleet to allow us to reduce cost per ASK, increase our competitiveness, and expand our international destinations to destinations such as Yangon.|
|2003||• BA entered into 3 project agreements with the AOT for the provision of cargo services, ground support equipment services and in-flight catering operations at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport.|