This printed article is located at http://ba.listedcompany.com/csr.html
Corporate Social Responsibility
The Company and its subsidiaries focus on operating its business taking into account the ethics and Good Corporate Governance, including transparency and a commitment to promoting the interests of the economics, community and the environment through its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) policies. As part of its CSR policies, the Company and its subsidiaries organize charitable events encouraging its employees to participate in various activities, including environmental conservation, supporting sporting events as well as supporting religious and cultural traditions to sustainably strengthen the society and community.
1. Operation and Preparation of Report
Realizing the importance of the social responsibility, the company’s, therefore; issued policies on the Corporate Social Responsibility as in the following points:
- To emphasize the fair and legitimate business operation, taking into account the compliance of relevant laws and regulations, transparency and disclosure of material information which can be verified. In addition, the Company adheres the fair and just allocation of benefits to all relevant parties e.g. its shareholders, customers, business partners, employees, community and society. The Company is also observed the transparency of disclosure focusing on the importance of the Good Corporate Governance.
- To carry on its business focusing on the Good Corporate Governance, ethics and compliance of relevant laws and regulations. The Company further emphasizes the anti-corruption, including wrongful misconduct or refraining from performing duties, breaches of laws, ethics, rules and regulations or policies of the Company for its own interests e.g. ask for, accept, offer or agree to give any property including other benefits to government officials orother person dealing the business with the Company.
- To emphasize the management of human resources in all steps for optimization, including the continuity of recruitment and development of personnel and employees training, fair and proper determination of remuneration and benefits, commitment to promoting the qualified employees as well as maintaining safe working environment for employees.
- To support the policies on environmental and energy conservation, the Company has begun its airport operation on an environmentally-friendly basis such as to conduct the survey and to prepare the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Report prior to the construction of the airports, to organize and ensure that the planning and procedures for the operation of the businesss hall not affect the surrounding environment and community. In addition, the Company also participates in the activities focusing on the protection of the earth, including to reduce global warming and energy consumption by encouraging all staff to take partinan energy and paper saving program by for examples, reducing the use of elevators.
- To stipulate a policy encouraging social activities such as athletes, cultural, Buddhism, youth improvement, which the Company has created every year at our head office and other airports suchas blood donation, “making merit to priest” project, art camp for kids at Koh Samui for “Samui Island Marathon”.
2. Activities For the Benefit of Society and Environment (after process)
The company and its subsidiaries continuously organize activities for the benefit of society and environment as we emphasize on creating activity-based learning for local youths as part of a sustainable development. Additionally, we have created an environment conservation activity called “Fly for Forest” in several provinces and “Planting Coconut Trees for Koh Samui” which is part of the “Love Earth, Save Earth: Love Samui, Save the Coconut Tree” in Samui. Because Samui island is an important tourist destination of Thailand and is among the top list of destinations that tourists from around the world would like to visit. The symbol is ccoconut plantations, white sandy beaches, clearsea water, and pure nature are all deemed important heritage that must be conserved for our later generations. For this reason, the “Love Earth, Save Earth” project was taking shape and it involves several green activities such as planting corals in collaboration with resorts on the island, planting mangroves to keep balance of the sea nature and coconut tree conservation project as we see coconut as a symbol as well as it’s an economics crops of Samui. This year we have also joined hands with Samui Municipality and Tourism Association of Koh Samui organized a coconut tree planting activity and giving away 2,000 coconut buds for the residents of Samui to plant it at home. This is the campaign to bring about the importan ceand collaboration of everyone to sustain the coconut trees towards the future.
This includes our in-flight service that focusses on using only the products that are environmentally friendly. Considering our daily consumption from what we cater to our passengers in flights, we must therefore, realize what illicit effect it could bring to our environment after wards. Therefore, ourproduct selection process has taken shape under proper criteria as follows.
- Use only products, including their manufacturing process, that are friendly to the environment.
- Serve fresh dark roast drip coffee from Doi Tung, as it’s been proven friendly to the environment through out the manufacturing process.
- Use only recycled containers i.e. food containers, paper cup soreven the paperpens. With agreat amount of consumption each day, the plastic products are replaced by these items and definitely makes a big difference.
3. Anti-Corruption Policy
The Company has always conducted its business by adhering to Good Corporate Governance, business ethics, and laws. Also, the Company has communicated, publicized for acknowledgment and understanding of not to demand, or agree to receive money, items, or any other benefits, including not to act in the way which may give rise to such actions, either for the benefits of the Company, oneself or others; and these have been prescribed in the Company’s Code of Conduct as fundamental guidelines for our employees.
Additionally, the Company emphasizes the significance of anti-corruption; and has approved the Anti-Corruption Policy so that the Company’s guidelines of avoiding and opposing corruption issues are more explicit. In this regard, the Company’s directors, executives, employees, includingthe Company’ subsidiaries and the businesses over which the Company has controlling power will not or support any corruption behaviors in whatever forms and will strictly comply with fundamental guidelines in Anti-Corruption Policy, including cooperate with the internal aud it investigation with an aim to avoid and correct corruption behaviors which may arise internally.
The Company has established the following guidelines for preventing corruption:
- Define the principles for giving or receiving gifts or entertainmentas part of the Company’s Code of Conduct. Employees must not offer, demand, receive, or agree to receive money, items, meals, entertainment, or any other benefits which may give rise to the suspicion of bribery and corruption behavior. Gifts received should be modest, and should not be cash or cash equivalents. Employees must always be aware that all actions and non-actions must take into consideration transparency, fairness, and accountability.
- Set out regulations on procurement, and objectives for entering into transactions, entering into agreements, and disbursement; whereby each step requires definitive supporting documentation, as well as specify approval limits and authorization approvals for each level
- Arrange to put in place an internal audit system to cover finance, accounting, recording information, and other aspects of accounting and finance to ensure that financial transactions are entered into for approved purposes, and that business is conducted with transparency.
- Communicate the values of Good Corporate Governance, as well as the Anti-Corruption Policy, to work units with in the Company, its subsidiaries, and the businesses over which the Company has controlling power via various channels such as employee training, the Company’s internal communication channels, such as the Company’s website or intranet, to inform the relevant parties to ensure further compliance.
- The Audit Committee has the duty to audit and review transactions of the Company to ensure that the Company has sufficient good corporate governance in line with the relevant policies and requirements. If the Audit Committee has found or has any question about any transaction or action which may affect the Company’s transparency in its business operation, the Audit Committee may independently report such a transaction or action to the Board of Directors and/or the President (as the case may be as it deems appropriate) in order for the issue to be addressed timely and appropriately.
- Establish whistleblower channels for reporting to or filing complaints with the Audit Committee in the event that encounter situations which may constitute dishonest behavior or misconduct by individuals, as well as the Company. Whistleblowers can raise their concerns or file complaints, and submit details and evidence by mail to the following persons at Bangkok Airways Public Company Limited, No. 99 Mu 14, Vibhavadirangsit Road, Chom Phon, Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900, based on the type of issue as follows:
|Violations of the law, dishonest behavior, violations of the work rules and Code of Conduct
||The President or the highest-ranking officer of the Human Resources Department
|Matters which affect the reputation and image of the Company
|Non-compliance with the Code of Conduct by Directors
||The Chairman, the Chairman of the Audit Committee, or the Company Secretary
|Irregularities regarding financial transactions
||The Chairman of the Audit Committee
- In order to prevent any potential adverse impact on whistleblowers, the Company has put in place mechanisms to protect them by establishing a confidentiality policy regarding their identity. Therefore, if the information regarding whistleblowers is disclosed, persons who are responsible for such information shall be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with the Company’s Work Rules.